skip to main content
Student Records

A cumulative record shall be kept for each student enrolled in school. This individual folder shall contain a health record, attendance record, and scholarship record about the student. The folder shall be kept current and should move with the student through his school career.

The name used on the record of a student entering Hamblen County Public Schools must be the same as that shown on the birth certificate, unless evidence is presented that such name has been legally changed. If the parent does not have, or cannot obtain a birth certificate, then the name used on the records of such pupil will be shown on documents which are acceptable to the system as proof of date of birth.

The name used on the records of a student entering the system from another school must be the name as shown on records from the school previously attended unless evidence is presented that such name has been legally changed through a court as prescribed by law.

When a student transfers within the system, the original record shall be forwarded to the requesting school.

When a student transfers and his records are requested from a school outside of the county or state, the original school should keep the original records and send the copies to the transfer school.

Attendance records concerning each student shall be kept and become permanent property of the school. The attendance may be kept by the school office or by homeroom teachers as determined by each school principal. Grade books shall be retained for five(5) years.

Use of Student Records

Authorized school officials will have access to and permit access to student education records for legitimate educational purposes.1 A "legitimate educational interest" is the official's need to know information in order to:

(1) Perform required administrative task;

(2) Perform a supervisory or instructional task directly related to the student's education;

(3) Perform a service or benefit for the student or the student's family such as a health care, counseling, student job placement, or student financial aid.

Authorized school officials may release information from or permit access to a student's education record without parent(s) or eligible student's* prior written consent in the following instances:

To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. The school system will make a reasonable effort to notify the student's parent(s) or the eligible student before making a disclosure;

If the disclosure is an item of directory information;

To comply with the requirements of child abuse reports to the extent known by the school officials including the name, address, and age of the child, the name and address of the person responsible for the care of the child, and the facts requiring the report;

When certain federal and state officials need information in order to audit or enforce legal conditions related to federally- supported education programs in the school system;

When the school system has entered into a contract or written agreement for an organization to conduct scientific research on the system's behalf to develop tests or improve instruction, provided that the studies are conducted in a manner which will not permit the personal identification of students and their parents by individuals other than the representatives of the organization and the information will be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose for which the study was conducted.

To appropriate officials if the parent(s) claim the student as a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1954;

To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions;

When a student seeks or intends to enroll in another school district or post-secondary school. Parent(s) of students or eligible students have a right to obtain copies of records transferred under this provision.

To financial institutions or government agencies that provide or may provide financial aid to a student, to establish eligibility, to determine the amount of financial aid, to establish conditions for the receipt of financial aid and to enforce financial aid agreements.

To make the needed disclosure in a health or safety emergency when warranted by the seriousness, of the threat to the student or other persons, when the information is necessary and needed to meet the emergency, when time is an important and limiting factor and when the persons to whom the information is to be disclosed are qualified and in a position to deal with the emergency.

Authorized school officials may release information from a student's education record if the student's parent(s) or the eligible student gives written consent for the disclosure. The written consent must include:

A specification of the records to be released;

The reasons for the disclosure;

The person, organization, or class of persons or organizations to whom the disclosure is to be made;

The signature of the parent(s) or eligible student;

The date of consent and, if appropriate, a date when the consent is to be terminated. The student's parent(s) or the eligible student may obtain a copy of any records disclosed under this provision.

The school system will maintain an accurate record of all requests to disclose information from or to permit access to a student's education records. The system will maintain an accurate record of information it discloses and access it permits. The system will maintain this record as long as it maintains the student's education record.

The record will include at least:

The name of the person or agency that makes the request;

The interest the person or agency has in the information;

The date the person or agency makes the request; and

Whether the request is granted and, if it is, the date access is permitted or the disclosure is made. Schools may divulge lists of students and directory information to organizations with whom the school has contracted for approved school activities or functions if such information is reasonably necessary for the performance of the contract. Before releasing such information, the school shall obtain a statement from the organization that the information furnished will be used solely for the existing contract, and that the information will be destroyed upon completion of the contract.

*The student becomes an "eligible student" when he reaches age 18 or enrolls in a post-secondary school, at which time all of the above rights become the student's rights.

After graduation or withdrawal from school the records are located at the student's last school attended. The inactive special education records are stored at the Central Office and maintained by the Special Services Department for a period of five years, at which time they are distroyed after public notice of intent.